The Heritage Centre
has now closed at the end of the season.
We do hope to welcome
you next year - Saturdays, Sundays, Bank
Holidays 2.00 - 4.30 pm
William Smith, Father
of English Geology, was born in Churchill in 1769 and we are
to have installed a plaque at Smith's
birthplace, thanks to the generous support of The Curry Fund.
The plaque was unveiled on 22
March 2015 by Professor Hugh Torrens.
We have also been working with the
Oxford University Museum of Natural History to commemorate the
bicentenary of William Smith's
famous geological map of England and Wales.
This is a significant
partnership and we are delighted to be celebrating the heritage of
the villages of
Churchill and Sarsden with this important focus on
William Smith in 2015.
Organised by the
Heritage Centre, an enthusiastic group of walkers enjoyed a trail
around Churchill and Sarsden on 25th May, discovering some of the
village landmarks important to the life of William Smith - including
the rare sheep dip.
Led by geologists
Geoffrey Walton and Owen Green, the group is seen here visiting Sarsden Quarry
features were explained.
Ralph Mann's lucid history of Churchill and Sarsden
describes the parish's long and surprisingly rich past.
Four walking trails in and around the villages of Churchill
& Sarsden. Richly illustrated with photographs,
geological data, details of William Smith village
connections and local history.